daywefightback

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Valley Girl (1983)

Starring: Nick Cage, Deborah Foreman

I've spent a good part of today rewatching this piece of eighties' pop culture.

Eighties' teen movies which weren't done by John Hughes and especially those that take place in California are hard for me to watch, mostly because I just can't relate. I couldn't finish Fast Times at Ridgmont High, because, well, I have no idea what these people's lives are like. It just seems so far away. I actually straight-up hated that movie.

I think having Nick Cage helped a bit. He's so funny in this, in kind of a goofy way. And it's fun to take a peek into the attitudes of the times. Hippies, were like, so out, you know? Like, Julie's parents are so uncool.

I was going to write a semi-serious review of this movie, but someone did it first. You should read it, it's pretty funny. Ah if there we're ever an indication that people are educated in all the wrong ways...

Here's my summary:

Julie (Deborah Foreman) meets this punk named Randy (Cage).

Julie: "It's like I feel connected to you somehow... It's, like, we're linked or something... ohmigod... I'm so embarassed... err..."
(passionate kiss as the Plimsouls play in the background)

Twenty minutes later:
Julie: I can't see you anymore, okay!
Randy: I know what it is, I know what it is... It's your fucking friends. Shit, Julie, what is this, this is between you and me Julie not between the rest of the fucking world so fuck off! It's your friends! Well fuck you! Well fuck off fer sure, like, totally!


Randy then stalks her all the way to the senior prom. And then they drive off in limosine and there's kind of that awkward laughing in the back seat like in The Graduate. But Modern English's fantastic, lovelorn and danceable single "I'll Melt With You" is playing in the background, and as Julie and Randy's limo fades into anonymity amongst the mass of traffic on the LA freeway, we can't help but feel that this was a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment