daywefightback

Monday, December 14, 2009

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Starring: Frank Sinatra, Lawrence Harvey, Angela Lansbury, James Gregory,
and, oh yeah... Janet Leigh

why don't you play some solitaire, Raymond?
There's not really a lot to say about John Frankenheimer's 1962 classic which hasn't already been said, so I'll just keep this short.
The back of the dvd box declares, "Eerie, shocking, daring, thrilling, and mesmerizing, the Manchurian Candidate will leave you breathless!". Whatever, this movie is trippy. I loved it the minute I first discovered it, flipping channels on cable television.

I think my favorite pick-up line of all time has to be in this scene right here:
setting: Frank Sinatra and Janet Leigh on are a train together
Frank Sinatra: Do you mind if I smoke?
Janet Leigh: Not at all. Please do. Maryland's a beautiful state.
FS: This is Delaware.
JL: I know. I was one of the Chinese workmen who the laid the track on this stretch.But, um... nonetheless, Maryland is a beautiful state. So is Ohio, for that matter.
FS: I guess so.
Columbus is a tremendous football town.
You in the railroad business?
Not any more. However, if you will permit me to point out, when you ask that question, you should say "Are you in the railroad line?" Where's your home?
I'm in the army. I'm a major. 've been in the army most of my life. We move a good deal. I was born in New Hampshire.
I went to a girls' camp once on Lake Frances. It's pretty far north.
What's your name?
Eugénie.
Pardon?
No kidding. I really mean it. Crazy French pronunciation and all.
It's pretty.
Well, thank you.
I guess your friends call you Jenny.
Not yet, they haven't. For which I am deeply grateful. But you may call me Jenny.
What do your friends call you?
Rosie.
Why?
My full name is Eugénie Rose. Of the two names, I've always favoured Rosie, because it smells of brown soap and beer. Eugénie is somehow more fragile.
Still, when I asked you what your name was, you said it was Eugénie.
It's quite possible I was feeling more or less fragile at that instant.
I could never figure out what that phrase meant, "more or less".
Are you Arabic?
No. My name is Ben. It's really Bennett. I was named after Arnold Bennett.
The writer?
No. A lieutenant colonel. He was my father's commanding officer at the time.
What's your last name?
Marco.
Major Marco. Are you Arabic?
No. No...
Let me put it another way.
Are you married?
No.
You?
No.
What's your last name?
Chaney. I'm production assistant for a man named Justin, who had two hits last season. I live on 54th Street, a few doors from the Modern Museum of Art, of which I'm a tea-privileges member. No cream. I live at West 54th Street. Apartment B. Can you remember that?
Yes.
Eldorado 964545.
Can you remember that?
Yes.
Are you stationed in New York? Or is stationed the right word?
I'm not exactly stationed in New York. I was... stationed in Washington, but I got sick and now I'm on leave and I'm gonna spend it in New York.
Eldorado 964545.
I'm gonna look up an old friend of mine who's a newspaper man. We were in Korea together.
((...blackout.))

the Chinese psychiatrist
you can always recognize a commie by his diabolical grin
If the dialogue seems weird or stilted or off the wall, that's because it is. According to the dvd commentary, they lifted it right out of the book.
Now, what I want to know, is, what Janet Leigh's character really the Chinese psychiatrist? I'm not the only one who has watched this movie and had the same impression!!

No comments:

Post a Comment